Do you need help? Post your question on the forum, there will always be a member to help you and give some advice. Ask a new question
Contribute, 36 messages are still unanswered
HowToDo Question : Do I need an expansion joint or not ?

Waiting for a better solution Do I need an expansion joint or not ?

Forum-> Construction & Renovation
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2010 11:09 
hello to all

I am working to change an old window (length 2m, height 0.80 m)
a place I 'll put tiles of glass. (40., 4 in height, 10 in length)
a friend advised me to put an expansion joint around the frame of glass blocks in polystyrene, I think it only serves has strictly nothing!
I have two 6-irons concrete horizontally between each row of brick and a vertically after each glass block.
more in keeping around this polistyrene of 2/3 mm, the strength of the whole is more fragile than not?
in and suddenly everything is down, dns far as this masonry is not anchored to home. (Attached)
your opinion?
Thank you

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2010 11:12 
HELLO
Follow your idea these the most suitable You do not have to put an expansion joint. The solution is to caulk around the perimeter, once your job is done, with expanding foam, and finished with cement, or see another.
Regards Jean-Paul

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2010 13:21 
hello, jean-paul is right and you also no expansion joint!

has +

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2010 15:03 
ok, thank you for your help I read I do not know or that some use of expansion joints, but it has neither head nor tail, as if the "glass" expands "?. especially as it was under a lintel (former location of window) I'll
masonry me today that, without any joint course has
when the expanding foam, so I attached it right to the cement glue ( Special tiles of glass) I would not need to foam if?
thank you

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2010 16:51 
décidément.que you think of this document laying glass blocks? "it "reparlent de.joint?

http://dl.free.fr/lBzvg8FFS

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2010 18:43 
Goodnight,

If the glass expands, like most materials. The problem is that all materials have different coefficient of expansion. between a soft and hard materials, this poses no problem because the flexible, absorbs differences. If both materials are hard materials and have the same coefficient, this could cause cracks and delamination. If you have not started work, prefer laying joints. If it's too late, do not worry too much, with any luck, your installation will remain unchanged for years or with a few microcracks unimportant. If damage were to be larger, it will still time to advise
Post new topicReply to topic    HowToDo Forum Index -> Construction & Renovation All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1